Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Go Outside and Play!

Going outside and playing (GOAPing) is easier than it appears. Or is it?

Open the door (turning off your computer or putting on clothes isn't even necessary, though the latter will be less insulting to those around you), take a step outside, and then DO something.

It might be helpful to simply do something impulsive... without thinking. This will get you in a more child-like mindset. Like AC Morgan IV once said, "in order to have fun, I need to do something illegal or act like a child." However, to most of us analytical types, a command to "do something impulsive" is usually followed by brain wave activity that, if projected over a loud speaker might sound something like this:

"ok, do something impulsive, that means don't think- just do. Very Yoda-esque.
I never really liked Star Wars but my friends' kids love it.
Ok, what would THEY do?
Probably, just start running around, or playing in the dirt.
Where can I find dirt?
Ok, there's some sand, should I run out the sand and then play in it?
No, there are people watching... they'd think I am strange.

Oh, that's right I am a little strange- I forgot, right- impulsive.
Do something, I'm confused.


You MIGHT think I am exaggerating, but I am sure you agree that it is reassuring to know our random- and perhaps slightly neurotic thoughts- aren't publicly broadcasted.

Maybe the "WHAT" to do isn't the variable preventing you from GOAPing. Personally, I have more of an issue with deciding WHAT to do considering the myriad options:

"I am going to the beach to fly my kite, but since I am at the beach I might want to surf, so I will take a board, but maybe the tide will be low so I can do a barefoot run, but since the haze hasn't burned off shouldn't I go for a hike while it is still cool...?
"

Sometimes this inability to decide is paralyzing to the point that it is easier to simply do nothing at all!

Maybe you, like me, have lots of adventurous or stress-relieving or energy-providing activities to do outdoors and the problem is, unlike me, you don't have the TIME to GOAP.

That's too bad.

I say that not in a condescending tone of voice, but with some compassion and concern. Because regardless of the source of the barrier; whether it is the job, the kids, the computer or TV, an injury or ache, or depression or apathy, or the busy-ness of life, GOAPing is essential. It is essential to maintaining balance in the physical body, clearness in the mind, and inspiration in the soul. It provides real, first hand evidence that there is a wider, bigger world going on outside of the house, outside of the office cubicle, and certainly outside of the dark, yet convincing inner voice that tells us "there is so much to DO and not enough time to do it."

Take a deep breath. Think about a group of kids on a playground... moving naturally and without consciously planning out what they are going to do. Not worried about what they are going to do AFTER that, or after THAT. Not struggling with how much or how little they have accomplished today. Not so much concerned with whether or not the slide will be occupied when they want to slide down it or whether or not there will be a vacant swing open IF they suddenly get the desire to swing. They are simply engaged in moving themselves through space, content in the moment and intuitively handling situations as they arise. Do you remember what it felt like to move around like this? Try it sometime.

Scratch that, since I mentioned Yoda earlier: "Do or do not do, there is no try."

So with some degree of sympathy for all the reasons that come up as to why NOT to do so... yet with a little bit of hope, I gently urge you:

GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!




1 comment:

  1. excerpt from and email sent to me.
    ". . . Becase we were always outside playing. . .that's why!

    We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

    No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

    We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

    We did not have Cellphones, personal computers, no internet, and no chatrooms, WE HAD FRIENDS and we went OUTSIDE and found them.

    We ate worms and mudpies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

    We were given BB guns for our 10th birtdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

    We rode bikes or walked to a friends house and knocked on the door, or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

    Little Leage had tryouts and not everyone maded the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

    Imagine That!! . . ."

    ReplyDelete